5 Opening Day Baseball Cities That Freeze Fans
Home stadium: Miller (TAP) Park
Average March 31 temperature: 40 degrees
Sure, the Brewers have a retractable-roof stadium and a heating system. That doesn't exactly help when Wisconsin's state pastime is tailgating.
Miller Park's roof closes and its heating system can crank temperatures up to 30 degrees warmer than than the bitter chill outside. That was little help on April 10, 2000, however, when the mercury dropped to 34 degrees and gave Milwaukee the second-coldest Opening Day in the past 10 years, according to Elias. At the time, the Brewers were playing in open-air Milwaukee County Stadium and weren't above kicking off the season with a little Wisconsin snow and sleet.
By the time Milwaukee tied its own record for cold openers with another 34-degree Opening Day on April 5, 2002, Milwaukee had learned its lesson and put the team in fans in much cozier confines. The Brewers dodge a March home opener this year by playing on the road in temperate Cincinnati before coming home April 4. What if it's freezing then? At least the beer will be cold. Besides, fans still have sausage and a Green Bay Packers Super Bowl win to keep them warm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV