NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The euro outpaced the U.S. dollar Thursday despite the collapse of the Portuguese minority government as expectations of a central bank rate hike in April prevailed.
The euro was rising 0.6% to $1.4174. CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) has been up 6.2% for the past year.
However, the U.K. pound sterling-greenback pairing "has not had the luck of the euro," said FXDD Chief Currency Analyst Greg Michalowski. "In fact it's been down, down, down for the most of the trading day."
The pound was falling 0.8% to $1.6111. CurrencyShares British Pound Sterling Trust (FXB) has been up 7.9% for the past year.With the Bank of England policymakers split 6-to-3 against interest rate hikes because of the tepid U.K. economic recovery, expectations of a hike in borrowing rates -- currently at a record low of 0.5% -- have been snuffed out in the near term. Surging commodity prices lent support to commodity currencies such as the Australian dollar, which rallied against the dollar for a fifth straight day. The Australian dollar was gaining 0.8% to $1.0211. CurrencyShares Australian Dollar Trust ( FXA) has been up 12.6% for the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV