NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Orient Paper (ONP), a small Chinese paper producer that ran through a gauntlet of fraud accusations last year, said late Wednesday that its 2008 financial results were audited by a firm that didn't have an accounting license.
In an 8-K regulatory filing and in a press release, Orient Paper said it was unaware of the problem until recently. Called the Davis Accounting Group, the Cedar City, Utah-based audit firm was supposed to be licensed by its home state, but its license lapsed in September 2008 and was formally revoked as of November last year. "During the time when Davis Accounting was retained by the Company, Davis Accounting represented that it was in good standing," Orient Paper said in its press release.
Orient Paper's independent auditor for some time has been BDO Ltd. of Hong Kong, which will re-audit the company's 2008 results."We are not aware of any other information at this time which leads us to believe that our financial statements for 2008 are materially incorrect in any way," Orient Paper CEO Zhenyong Liu said in a prepared statement. "We have been in communication with the SEC and PCAOB" -- the U.S. regulator of auditing firms -- "to determine the best course of action." He said the re-audit should be done by the start of the third quarter, "if not earlier." Davis Accounting has encountered problems before. In April 2008, it received an inspection report from the PCAOB that warned of audit deficiencies. "The deficiencies identified ...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV