Gold for April delivery settled down $3.10 to $1,443.90 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,448.60, a record, and as low as $1,436 while the spot gold price was shedding $4.50, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold settled at a record on Wednesday at $1,438 an ounce. Prices have tried four times to conquer and sustain record high levels, but have sold off each time. The selloffs have pushed the metal back down to $1,300 an ounce.
The question is can traders become more interested in gold and prevent prices from hitting a fifth top? Prices hit some resistance in early trading on solid weekly initial jobless claims, which were below the 400,000 mark and which were drawing investor interest into stocks away from gold. But as the U.S. dollar continued to weaken, precious metals rallied. Towards the end of the session prices sold off as profit takers jumped in. The selloff was "technical in nature
Ash contends that even a series of rate hikes won't be enough to tame negative real interest rates. He believes the Bank of England, Federal Reserve and, to an extent, the ECB put themselves in a powerless position where they can't raise rates for fear of slowing growth but they can't lower rates anymore. "Negative real rates are the only game in town." Gold might see some future headwinds from a stronger U.S. dollar, which could gain in value if the euro tanks on European sovereign debt fears. But, if 2010 is a guide, gold could initially suffer but then bounce as new investors jump into the market. Ash fervently believes that gold is not a bubble and that those who say it is are "confusing longevity with speed." Gold has been in a bull market for 10 years versus its previous 20 year bear market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV