FirstCity Financial Corporation Reports Fourth Quarter And Full Year 2010 Results
WACO, Texas, March 24, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Highlights:
- FirstCity reported fourth quarter 2010 earnings of $1.8 million or $0.17 per diluted share, and fiscal year 2010 earnings of $12.5 million or $1.23 per diluted share.
- FirstCity invested $29.0 million during the quarter, consisting of $14.5 million of portfolio assets and $14.5 million in non-portfolio debt and equity investments. FirstCity invested $123.7 million during 2010, consisting of $67.7 million of portfolio assets and $56.0 million in non-portfolio debt and equity investments.
Overview of Fourth Quarter 2010
FirstCity reported net earnings of $1.8 million for the fourth quarter of 2010 ("Q4 2010"), compared to $8.4 million reported for the fourth quarter of 2009 ("Q4 2009"). The Company recorded diluted net earnings per common share of $0.17 in Q4 2010, compared to $0.80 of diluted net earnings per common share for the same period last year.During Q4 2010, FirstCity and its investment partners jointly acquired $51.1 million of domestic portfolio assets with a face value of $107.8 million – of which FirstCity's investment acquisition share was $14.5 million. FirstCity's non-portfolio investments in Q4 2010 included $7.3 million of SBA loan advances and originations; $0.2 million of equity investments in privately-held middle-market companies; $6.5 million of equity investments in foreign partnerships; and $0.5 million of other investments. In addition, during Q4 2010, the Company's consolidated coal mine operation (special situations platform investment) completed performance on its coal supply and purchase agreements (which expired in December 2010). As a result, the coal mine subsidiary was dissolved, and its results of operations for Q4 2010 and fiscal year 2010 were reclassified from the Company's special situations business segment and presented as discontinued operations. The Company's unrealized future gross profit associated with its core portfolio business assets totaled $149.0 million at December 31, 2010. Unrealized future gross profit is a non-GAAP measure. Refer to the Schedule of Estimated Unrealized Gross Profit from Portfolio Assets on page 12 of this release for a reconciliation of this measure with the most directly comparable financial measure calculated and presented in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV