BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The Credit Suisse Focus List, which has outperformed the S&P 500 in each of the past six years, included 18 stocks at the start of 2011. Here's a snapshot of this year's five best-performing picks from the Zurich, Switzerland-based bank.
Now, here are five Focus List stocks, still rated "outperform", that offer as much as 79% upside.
5. Cytec (CYT) is a specialty chemicals and materials company, based in Woodland Park, N.J. Its stock has gained 13% in the past 12 months, but has declined 2% in 2011. Cytec's fourth-quarter net income more than quadrupled to $48 million, or 81 cents a share, even though revenue fell 7% to $700 million. Cytec's gross margin narrowed from 25% to 22% and its operating margin tightened from 6.9% to 6.6%. The company held $383 million of cash and $648 million of debt at quarter's end, for an ample quick ratio of 1.4 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.4.Of analysts covering Cytec, four, or 57%, advise purchasing its stock, two say to hold and one advocates selling. Credit Suisse expects the shares to climb 28% to $67. KeyBank is even more optimistic, with a 12-month target of $68. In contrast, Goldman Sachs ranks Cytec "sell", but values its stock at $54, marginally above the current market price. Cytec sells for a trailing earnings multiple of 18, a forward earnings multiple of 13, a book value multiple of 1.5, a sales multiple of 0.9 and a cash flow multiple of 9.3, 15%, 21%, 63%, 64% and 30% industry discounts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV