NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Decluttering the kitchen, scrubbing the bathroom and putting away winter clothes isn't spring cleaning; it's a good laugh for folks who spend this season handling excrement and carting off corpses.
The folks at the American Cleaning Institute say 66% of Americans will do some form of spring cleaning this year, including 82% of those ages 18-29. Of that younger neat-freak set, 96% says having a clean home is very important to them, 26% say spring is when they clean their home most thoroughly and 23% say if it wasn't for spring cleaning they'd never clean. Still, the toughest tasks most spring cleaners face this year are wiping down the counters (91%), mopping floors and vacuuming rugs (92%) and reorganizing the closets (88%).
While it's nice the trade association formerly known as the Soap and Detergent Association can keep members such as Clorox (CLX), Colgate-Palmolive (CL), Dow (DOW), Dupont (DD), S.C. Johnson & Son and Procter & Gamble (PG) apprised of this cultural shift toward cleanliness, the people doing the scrubbing in this survey are just a small sampling of a greater collective of cleaners making the world a little less repugnant as temperatures rise. For every dust bunny in your house, there are tons of soot to be swept, gallons of sewage to be siphoned away and lots of spent needles, animal waste and other biohazards to be bundled up and taken away.
There are plenty of dirty jobs out there, but the following four should make spring cleaners feel a bit more comfortable about vacuuming under the couches and clearing out the cupboards:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV