NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Let's give it up to the legitimate heroes of the Fukushima nuclear complex.
Though reports conflict, it appears that the dauntless nuclear engineers who remained in the crippled plant -- at what must be staggering personal cost -- somehow got power restored to the tsunami-clobbered facility in northern Japan.
Because of their courage, the rest of us can take a deep breath and relax, if just a bit. To me, anyway, the proper way to honor these heroes is to look around and see what we all can do to make our own small-business lives safer.
Here are some things to do now to get ready for the worst kind of later:What in doubt, text it out.
Our cell phone networks may be a national disgrace -- wonky, slow and a royal pain to use at times. But one thing they ain't is breakable. The digital cell communication standard at the heart of much cell traffic is specifically designed to function in a disaster. No matter what -- flood, attack, hurricane, whatever -- the text-messaging function on your cell phone will work as long as there is electricity and standing cell phone towers. Yes, your messages will move slowly. No, you won't be able to make voice calls. But if you have power and a phone, and your buddy has power and a phone, voila, through the magic of text messaging you are a team. So be smart: Get the numbers of everyone you need to communicate with in case of an emergency and make sure you know how to communicate via text message. For extra credit, you can practice sending emergency messages, even arrange a meeting point and evac plan. Either way, texting in an emergency to a pre-established group is the single smartest thing you and your team can do when things go south.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV