NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Cree (CREE) is leading the LED lighting sector down on Wednesday after revealing that an inventory backlog is taking longer to work through than the company expected while at the same time pricing has deteriorated.
The trends forced Cree to revise its previous quarterly top line and gross margin guidance lower.
Cree now expects third-quarter fiscal 2011 revenue of $215 million to $220 million, versus a previous guidance range of $245 million to $265 million. Gross margin guidance was lowered to 43% from 46%.
Cree shares hit a new 52-week low on Wednesday, down 10% and below the $44 mark. Cree's trading volume already had surpassed its average daily volume of 3.4 million shares within an hour of the market open.The weak market outlook from Cree has been a risk for investors since its last earnings report. Cree first reported the inventory glut during its last quarterly earnings, and at that time analysts covering Cree said timing an inventory work-through isn't a perfect science. There was always the chance that the inventory glut would last longer than Cree predicted. In addition, an inventory glut can put pressure on pricing in the market, as companies move to unload inventory at ever-lower prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV