BALTIMORE, March 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Adams Express Company (NYSE: ADX) announced that a stockholder proposal for the Board of Directors to consider causing the Company to conduct a self-tender offer was soundly defeated by the stockholders at its annual meeting of stockholders today in Baltimore. Of the 56% of the outstanding shares of the Company's stock that were cast on the proposal, 72% of the shares voted against it and 25% of the shares (representing only 14% of the Company's outstanding shares) voted for it. 3% of the shares abstained. For the proposal to pass, the affirmative vote of a majority of the votes cast on the proposal was required.
Douglas G. Ober, Chairman and CEO, stated, "I am very pleased that our stockholders carefully considered the merits of the proposal, which was submitted by an activist hedge fund, and the reasons articulated by the Board for recommending that the stockholders vote against it, and resoundingly voted against the proposal."
The Adams Express Company is a Baltimore-based closed-end investment company. It trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol ADX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV