NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Prana Biotechnology (PRAN) was skyrocketing for the second straight day Tuesday after it published data in the science journal PLoS One on the ability of its drug PBT2 to restore cognition in mice stricken by Alzheimer's disease. The stock was soaring 43% to $3.90. Volumes jumped to nearly 22 million in noon trading. Volumes have typically been under 300,000 in the last three months.
Adeona Pharmaceuticals (AEN) was another pharmaceutical company gaining on unusual volumes, climbing 18.8% to $1.75. There were no company announcements driving the move, although Adeona is developing a clinical-stage oral, gastro-retentive and sustained-release medical food candidate for the dietary management of Alzheimer's.
Rare earth stocks were gaining after China rare earth exports data showed prices were more than double last year's average. China's exports of rare earth metals burst through the $100,000-per-ton mark for the first time in February, up almost nine-fold from a year before, while the volume of trade stayed far below historical averages, according to a Reuters report. The stock of Rare Element Resources (REE) was jumping 13% to $11.72.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV