Although there have been reports of radioactive contamination in Japan's seas, its government said they're haven't been at levels immediately threatening to humans. Still radiation has been found in tap water, spinach and milk and taken off the market.
The death toll from Japan's earthquake and tsunami has reached 10,000. Tens of thousands are still missing.
The Brazilian real was strengthening against the dollar even as the country battles rising inflation. Projections for Brazil's IPCA consumer price index have risen to 5.88% for 2011 from the previously expected 5.82%. Investors remain dubious about the ability of monetary policy tightening to curb inflation.
On Friday, central banks from the Group of Seven (G7) industrialized nations sold about 530 billion yen ($6.5 billion) to curb the currency's appreciation according to Japan's central bank. The currency had been appreciating amid a mass repatriation of funds in the aftermath of Japan's earthquake and tsunami.Still UBS foreign exchange strategist Geoffrey Yu noted that evidence suggests the action wasn't enough to eradicate yen long clusters in the market. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV