PALO ALTO, Calif., March 22, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- StemCells, Inc. (Nasdaq:STEM) announced today the launch of nine new products and three related kits to facilitate stem cell research. The Company's new line of purified nucleic acid and protein stem cell lysate products will enable stem cell researchers to more accurately test and validate stem cell lines and associated genes and gene products. These new reagents are serum-free and are produced by purification of the DNA, RNA or protein content of the lysates of homogenous mouse stem cell lines. Prior to the launch of these reagents, researchers have had to rely on crude lysates created from mixed cell populations, which often contain contaminants such as animal-serum components and other factors that can significantly impair the reliability of analytical performance.
"The launch of these unique cell lysate reagents brings to twenty, the total number of stem cell research products we have launched since January 2010, and demonstrates our ongoing commitment to grow our SC Proven ® reagents business with innovative products that address the needs of a rapidly evolving field," said Stewart Craig, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Development and Operations at StemCells, Inc. "Our lysate products provide scientists with access to a reliable off-the-shelf benchmark against which they can perform their analyses, and are ideally suited to serve as the reference points necessary for researchers to verify "stemness" as well as to determine if they are looking at a cell, a gene or the gene product of a true, homogenous stem cell state, or of a more mature differentiated state."
The Company's SC Proven stem cell lysate products are affinity-purified from cultures of a homogenous population derived from a single stem cell in the pluripotent naive or 'ground state' 1-4 or from homogenous multipotent neural stem 5-7 cell lines grown in defined, serum-free SC Proven cell culture media. These reagents have significant utility for intra-comparative studies, such as Epigenetic analyses, Southern, Western and Northern blots, PCR, RT-PCR, and microarrays.The new STEMmES-D ™, STEMmES-R ™ and STEMmES-P ™ products comprise genomic DNA (gDNA), RNA and protein purified from the total cell lysate of mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells. The new STEMmENS-D ™, STEMmENS-R ™ and STEMmENS-P ™ products comprise gDNA, RNA and protein purified from the total cell lysate of mouse ES cell-derived neural stem (NS) cells. The new STEMmFNS-D ™, STEMmFNS-R ™ and STEMmFNS-P ™ products comprise gDNA, RNA and protein purified from the total cell lysate of mouse fetal brain-derived NS cells. In addition, convenient 'Triplet' kits containing vials of all three products (i.e. gDNA, RNA and Protein) from each cell type are available as STEMmES-Triplet ™, STEMmENS-Triplet ™ and STEMmFNS-Triplet ™. About SC Proven Products The SC Proven product portfolio comprises a range of products for the detection, isolation, expansion, differentiation and characterization of a variety of different human and animal cell types. The entire SC Proven product catalog and online ordering can be found at www.scproven.com . References
- Ying QL, et al., The ground state of embryonic stem cell self-renewal. Nature (2008) 453(7194):519-23
- Buehr M, et al., Capture of Authentic Embryonic Stem Cells from Rat Blastocysts. Cell (2008) 135(7):1287-98
- Li P, et al., Germline Competent Embryonic Stem Cells Derived from Rat Blastocysts. Cell (2008) 135(7):1299-310
- Wray J, et al., The ground state of pluripotency. Biochem Soc Trans.(2010) 38(4):1027-32
- Conti L, et al., Niche-Independent symmetrical self-renewal of a mammalian tissue stem cell. PLoS Biology (2005) 3(9):e283
- Pollard SM, et al., Adherent Neural Stem (NS) cells from fetal and adult forebrain. Cerebral Cortex (2006) 16:112-120
- Pollard SM, et al., Fibroblast growth factor induces a neural stem cell phenotype in foetal forebrain progenitors and during embryonic stem cell differentiation. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience (2008) 38:393:403
CONTACT: Investor Inquiries StemCells, Inc. Megan Meloni (650) 475-3105 Media Russo Partners Ian Stone (619) 528-2220 David Schull (212) 845-4271
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV