To come up with our list, we isolated the 10 bank and thrift holding companies with average daily trading volume of at least 50 thousand shares and were profitable in 2010 with an operating return on average assets of at least 0.50%. These banks were also expected to have the largest percentage increase in earnings for 2011, according to analysts polled by Thomson Reuters .
All data was supplied by SNL Financial.
Not surprisingly, the expected earnings improvement for these already-profitable holding companies has been baked into share prices to a certain extent. For all 10 bank and thrift holding companies listed here, forward price-to-earnings ratios based on the consensus earnings estimates for 2011 and 2012 among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters are well-above those of the "big four" U.S. bank holding companies.
- For Bank of America (BAC), the forward P/E was 10.6 based on Friday's closing price of $14.04 and the 2011 consensus EPS estimate of $1.33. The forward P/E was 7.5 based on the 2012 consensus EPS estimate of $1.87.
- For JPMorgan Chase (JPM), the forward P/E was 9.5 based on Friday's closing price of $45.74 and the 2011 consensus EPS estimate of $4.79. The forward P/E was 8.2 based on the 2012 consensus EPS estimate of $5.59.
- For Citigroup (C), the forward P/E was 10.5 based on Friday's closing price of $4.50 and the 2011 consensus EPS estimate of 43 cents. The forward P/E was 8.5 based on the 2012 consensus EPS estimate of 53 cents.
- For Wells Fargo (WFC), the forward P/E was 11.2 based on Friday's closing price of $31.83 and the 2011 consensus EPS estimate of $2.84. The forward P/E was 8.9 based on the 2012 consensus EPS estimate of $3.58.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV