NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Small-caps were soaring Monday after a renewal in deal activity spurred stocks. Shares of OptionsXpress (OXPS) were climbing 15% to $17.69 after Charles Schwab (SCHW) said it will buy the online retail brokerage in an all-stock transaction worth $1 billion.
Shareholders will be offered 1.02 shares of Schwab's stock for every share held, valuing OptionsExpress at $17.91 per share.
Shares of Leap Wireless (LEAP) were leaping 12% to $13.64 on the back of heightened deal buzz following the AT&T (T) - T-Mobile deal announced over the weekend. Speculation that Sprint Nextel (S) might gobble up smaller players to compete with the merged entity was driving the stock.
Verigy (VRGY), a manufacturer of semiconductor testing equipment, was ahead by 9.6% at $13.98 after it said that a $908 million offer it received from Japan's Advantest was superior to a pending deal with LTX-Credence.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV