Some of the above stocks recorded exponential gains during the past one year, much more than its major peers. For instance, Derma Sciences and Poniard Pharmaceuticals have accumulated 171% and 186%, respectively, while bigger names such as Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and Pfizer (PFE) have gained 10% and 11%, respectively.
5. Cleveland BioLabs is a biotechnology company developing biodefense, tissue protection and cancer treatment drugs conceptualized on the basis of modulation of cell death for therapeutic benefit. The company's products belong to two primary families of compounds: protectans and curaxins. Protectans are drug candidates that protect healthy tissue from acute stress such as radiation, chemotherapy, and ischemia, while Curaxins are being developed as anticancer agents that could act as mono-therapy drugs, or in combination with other existing anticancer therapies.
Net loss per share for the first quarter is forecast at 1-cent on sales of $4.6 million, compared to net loss of 14 cents per share on sales of $4.2 million recorded during first quarter 2009, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg.
The company recently announced that Protectan--its unlicensed drug--proved effective in treating radiation sickness up to 48 hours after initial exposure. Although the drug is awaiting approval, the company believes that there are no licensed drugs in this space. The company has adequate inventory of the drug to treat approximately 1,000 patients.Of the three analysts covering the stock, 67% recommend a buy while the remaining recommend a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 22% to $9 in value from current levels. Additionally, the stock has more than doubled during the past one year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV