Some of the above stocks recorded exponential gains during the past one year, much more than its major peers. For instance, Derma Sciences and Poniard Pharmaceuticals have accumulated 171% and 186%, respectively, while bigger names such as Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) and Pfizer (PFE) have gained 10% and 11%, respectively.
5. Cleveland BioLabs is a biotechnology company developing biodefense, tissue protection and cancer treatment drugs conceptualized on the basis of modulation of cell death for therapeutic benefit. The company's products belong to two primary families of compounds: protectans and curaxins. Protectans are drug candidates that protect healthy tissue from acute stress such as radiation, chemotherapy, and ischemia, while Curaxins are being developed as anticancer agents that could act as mono-therapy drugs, or in combination with other existing anticancer therapies.
Net loss per share for the first quarter is forecast at 1-cent on sales of $4.6 million, compared to net loss of 14 cents per share on sales of $4.2 million recorded during first quarter 2009, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg.
The company recently announced that Protectan--its unlicensed drug--proved effective in treating radiation sickness up to 48 hours after initial exposure. Although the drug is awaiting approval, the company believes that there are no licensed drugs in this space. The company has adequate inventory of the drug to treat approximately 1,000 patients.Of the three analysts covering the stock, 67% recommend a buy while the remaining recommend a hold. There are no sell ratings on the stock. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 22% to $9 in value from current levels. Additionally, the stock has more than doubled during the past one year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV