In March 2011, Illinois' governor signed a law that forces online retailers that work with affiliates in the state to collect sales tax on purchases made by residents.
Starting in July, any business with an affiliated presence in Illinois will be required to collect a 6.25% sales tax.
Illinois has estimates that it loses between $153 million and $170 million in sales tax revenue annually due to retailers not collecting the tax.
In response, Amazon made good on its threat of cutting its ties with Illinois affiliates. Its affiliate program will be terminated on April 15."We play by the same rules as other retailers, as the national chains collect online only for states where they have physical stores," Paul Misener, Amazon's vice president for public policy, said in a statement.
Vermont Vermont's House passed a bill on March 10, 2011, that would require affiliates of online retailers and other Internet businesses that perform more than $10,000 in sales a year to collect a 6% sales tax starting on July 1, 2012. The new regulation would result in about $30 million of new revenue for the state. The bill is moving to the Senate for consideration. Amazon has not said whether or not it will end its partnerships in the state.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV