The airplane took off from Paine Field in Everett on Sunday and landed four hours and 25 minutes later at Boeing Field in Seattle. The test flight program is expected to conclude in the fourth quarter. More than 600 test flight hours are planned.
|Boeing's new 747-8 aircraft made its first successful test flight Sunday.|
During Sunday's test, the aircraft followed a route over eastern Washington, reaching a cruise altitude of 19,000 feet and a speed of around 288 miles per hour.
"This is a great day for the 747-8 team and for all of Boeing," said Elizabeth Lund, general manager of the 747-8 program. "What an honor it is to see such a beautiful airplane fly."Boeing said the new model 747 will have the lowest seat-mile cost of any large commercial jetliner, with 12% lower costs, 16% fewer carbon emissions and a 30% smaller noise footprint than its predecessor, the 747-400. Launch customers Lufthansa and Korean Air have ordered 33 copies of the aircraft, and Air China has agreed to order five pending government approval. Boeing is among the U.S. companies best-positioned to benefit from China growth. In early morning trading, Boeing shares were rising 3.43% to $71.41. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV