Gadhafi Vows Defiance; Oil Nears $103
Updated from Sunday, March 20
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Allied forces struck Libya for a second night and oil prices rose to about $103 a barrel as Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi voiced defiance against allied attacks.
Benchmark crude for April delivery rose $1.65 to $102.72 in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The intraday high was $103.35 a barrel. The contract fell 35 cents to settle at $101.07 per barrel on Friday.
Gadhafi, in a phone call to state television, said, "We promise you a long war," The Associated Press reported. The dictator has ruled Libya for 41 years.Gadhafi also warned that Western powers wouldn't get Libya's oil, suggesting his forces may sabotage crude installations, AP reported. A military coalition of the U.S., France, U.K. and other nations bombed tanks and anti-aircraft sites Sunday and deterred Libyan fighter jets from flying, AP reported. Gadhafi said he wouldn't resign and pledged to continue to attack the eastern rebel stronghold of Benghazi.
|AP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus|
|A bus burns on a road leading to the outskirts of Benghazi Sunday.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV