Bullish CCME Analyst No Longer With Firm
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A research analyst who had long defended China MediaExpress (CCME), the Chinese advertising company now embroiled in a developing fraud scandal, has left her position at Global Hunter Securities.
A spokesman for Global Hunter confirmed that the analyst, Ping Luo, had departed as of Friday, but he wouldn't say whether she had resigned or been fired. He declined to comment further.
Global Hunter suspended its coverage of China Media on Tuesday.
Luo couldn't immediately be reached for comment.She last issued a full research note on China Media on Feb. 17, when she reiterated her buy rating on the company's stock and lifted her price target to $26. Earlier in the month, China Media was the subject of several scathing research reports from short sellers accusing the company of massive fraud. "We were in China last week to conduct additional due diligence on CCME," Luo wrote in her Feb. 17 note. "We visited CCME's headquarters again, and reviewed all of its contracts with advertising clients and bus operators, tax filings, and bank statements for the last three years.... Based on our due diligence to date, our thesis remains unchanged: CCME is a leader in the inter-city bus advertising market with a unique business model and large growth potential." Trading in China Media shares has been halted since March 11. This week, the company disclosed that its auditor -- the Hong Kong affiliate of Deloitte -- had resigned amid what it described as accounting "irregularities." The company's CFO and a key independent board member have also given up their posts. Global Hunter hired Luo in 2007 to cover companies based in China. She came from Mitsubishi UFJ Securities, where she worked as an investment banker.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV