(Potential menthol cigarette ban report updated with response from Altria Group
GREENSBORO, N.C. ( TheStreet) -- Lorillard (LO), Reynolds American (RAI) and Altria Group (MO) have been on the rise in recent sessions after a Food and Drug Administration panel did not specifically suggest the agency should ban menthol cigarettes.
The Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee, the FDA panel, did say on March 18 that the removal of menthol cigarettes from the American cigarette market would improve the overall health of the nation, but did not go as far as to suggest a complete ban of the flavored smokes. "The availability of menthol cigarettes has adverse impact on public health by increasing the numbers of smokers," the panel said, adding that it "has no specific suggestions" on how to proceed based on its assertions.
An "undue emphasis on reduction of menthol relative to other cigarettes may distract from the ultimate health-prevention message that smoking of any cigarettes is injurious to health," the panel said.A report from the panel is expected to be delivered to the FDA any day now, though the FDA has no deadline to make a decision about a ban on menthols. Altria Client Services on behalf of Philip Morris USA sent a written report to the FDA summarizing its response to the panel's findings. The Philip Morris report found that its "review of the science- and evidence-based information demonstrates that regulatory actions or restrictions related to the use of menthol in cigarettes are neither necessary nor justified." "Significant restrictions, like eliminating menthol in cigarettes, would not reduce the population harm caused by cigarette smoking, and would lead to severe and lasting unintended consequences detrimental to public health objectives and society."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV