NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As per U.S-based Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), global chip sales in January rose 14% to $25.5 billion from a year ago. The growth, which was recorded the highest U.S. with sales growth of 25% year-over-year, was mainly led by the high usage of chips in a wide range of products.
The SIA expects single-digit growth for the industry in 2011. However, the U.S. is expected to track double-digit growth on SIA's continuous efforts to increase chip production in the country, as these chips is a critical element of the overall technology industry.
The industry is trading at a price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio of 18.8 with a return-on-equity (ROE) of 14.8%, and a dividend yield of 2.73%. In 2010, year-over-year sales grew 50% and 44% to the industrial and automotive sectors, respectively.
Analysts expect these nine semiconductor stocks to generate lucrative returns for investors over the next 12 months. These stocks have 14% to 74% upside with strong buy, hold ratings.
9. KLA-Tencor (KLAC) designs, manufactures, supplies and markets process control and yield management solutions for the semiconductor and related nano-electronics industries. The company's products find application in high-brightness light-emitting diodes (HBLED), data storage and photovoltaic industries, as well as general materials research. Of the 16 analysts covering the stock, 44% rated a buy while 50% advised a hold. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expect the stock to gain an average 12.4% to $50.7 in the upcoming 12 months. For the second quarter ending Dec. 31, 2010, the company reported revenue increase of 74.1% to $766 million from the year-ago quarter. Net income multiplied to $185 million, or $1.09 per share, compared to $22 million, or 13 cents, in the year-ago quarter. In February, the company's board of directors authorized the repurchase of an additional 10 million shares of its outstanding common stock. In March, KLA-Tencor paid a quarterly cash dividend of 25 cents per share. For third quarter of 2011, the company estimates revenue in the range of $780 to $830 million while non-GAAP earnings per share are expected between $1.15 and $1.30, beating analysts' expectations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV