Gold for April delivery added $11.90 to settle at $1,416.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price rallied 1.4% Friday as high as $1,424.10 an ounce and as low as $1,402.20. The spot gold price was rising $13, according to Kitco's gold index.
"We have to broaden
Reportedly Japan has bought more than $20 billion U.S. dollars and is also selling yen. Other countries like the U.S. are actively supporting this move. The yen was falling 2.54% against the dollar. Japan has offered up almost $800 billion to shore up its economy in the past week and expanded its bond buying program to 10 trillion yen. The efforts should have dragged on the yen, but it didn't. Speculators who had been betting the yen would fall had to buy it back to cover their bets, and companies and individuals are rumored to have been selling other assets for yen as well. Any sort of whisper of currency intervention typically gives gold a boost as it reminds investors that paper currencies are at the mercy of central banks and highlights gold's appeal as a safer place to store wealth. The currency market can also be very volatile which also makes gold, a hard asset, more appealing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV