HOUSTON, March 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Kitimat LNG facility partners Apache Corporation and EOG Resources, Inc., through their Canadian subsidiaries, today announced that Encana Corporation (Encana) has agreed to acquire a 30 percent working interest ownership in the planned natural gas liquefaction and export facility on British Columbia's west coast and the associated Pacific Trail Pipelines (PTP). Under the new ownership agreement, Apache will sell down 11 percent of the equity in Kitimat LNG and PTP, retaining operatorship and a 40 percent working interest. EOG will sell 19 percent, keeping a 30 percent working interest. Financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.
"Encana is a natural partner with Apache and EOG for the Kitimat project. All three companies have a significant presence in the Horn River Basin as well as extensive experience in British Columbia natural gas plays, which provides additional operating and commercial synergies for development of this vital energy resource," said Janine McArdle, president of Kitimat LNG and senior vice president-gas monetization, Apache Corporation.
Renee Zemljak, Encana's executive vice-president, midstream, marketing and fundamentals, said: "Encana is excited to join a leading-edge export project that has the potential to advance the North American natural gas industry and supply the growing global demand for LNG by serving a diverse market in the Pacific Rim."
Marketing discussions are under way with potential Asia-Pacific LNG customers. The partners expect to have firm sales commitments in place by the time a final investment decision is made near the end of 2011. Initial shipments of LNG are expected to begin in 2015.About the Kitimat LNG facility and the PTP Pipeline Apache Canada, EOG Canada and Encana plan to build the Kitimat LNG facility on IR#6 Bish Cove, approximately 650 kilometres (400 miles) north of Vancouver. The facility is planned to be built on First Nations land under a unique partnership with the Haisla First Nation. The initial phase of the facility has a planned capacity of approximately 5 million metric tonnes per annum or the equivalent of nearly 700 million cubic feet per day. PTP is planning to build a 463-kilometre (287-mile), 914-mm (36-inch) diameter underground line from Summit Lake, B.C. to Kitimat. Pacific Northern Gas Ltd. (PNG) will operate and maintain the planned pipeline under a seven-year agreement with Apache Canada, EOG Canada and Encana, with provisions for five-year renewals. Apache Canada, EOG Canada and Encana have also agreed to 20-year transportation service arrangements requiring them to use a portion of PNG's current pipeline capacity. Kitimat LNG project background and other information Additional information about the Kitimat LNG project, including illustrations, an animated video, and previously issued news releases can be found at www.kitimatlngfacility.com. Key milestones for the project include:
- March 2011 – Apache and EOG welcome Encana to the Kitimat LNG development
- March 2011 – Kitimat LNG front-end engineering and design awarded to KBR
- March 2011 – Apache and EOG acquire all of Pacific Trail Pipelines
- December 2010 – Apache files Canadian Federal Export License Application
- December 2010 – EOG closes agreement on purchase of 49 percent of project
- November 2010 – Documents fully executed for land leases with related agreements
- November 2010 – Haisla First Nation votes overwhelmingly to approve land leases
- May 2010 – EOG Resources Canada signs pre-acquisition agreement to purchase remaining 49 percent of project
- January 2010 – Apache purchases 51 percent of project and becomes operator
- August 2006 – Canadian federal environmental assessment decision statement received
- June 2006 – Canadian provincial environmental assessment approval
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.