1. Ulta Salon & Cosmetics (ULTA) sells cosmetics, fragrances and skin- and hair-care products. It also has in-house, full-service salons. Its stores are located in high-traffic, off-mall locations.
Ulta went public in 2007. Its stock has gained 27% in 2011 and delivered annualized gains of 64% since 2008. Of analysts covering Ulta, half advise buying its stock and half recommend holding it. JPMorgan offers the highest price target, at $50, ranking Ulta "overweight." The stock commands a premium over peers, costing 25-times forward earnings.Ulta's adjusted fiscal fourth-quarter earnings increased 41% to 48 cents, outperforming the consensus target by 7.9%. Its sales stretched 20% to $474 million, exceeding consensus by 1.3%. Ulta's gross margin widened from 36% to 37% and its operating margin rose from 8.7% past 10%. Ulta held $111 million of cash and no debt, for a quick ratio of 0.8, at quarter's end. Comparable-store sales, a key metric for retailers, grew more than 10% during the quarter. The company plans to open 61 new stores in 2011 and it is targeting 25% to 30% full-year net income growth.
To see these stocks in action, visit the 5 Stocks Hitting Highs portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV