The iShares Dow Jones Consumer Goods Index Fund (IYK) spreads its assets across a wide range of companies hailing from the staples and discretionary regions of the consumer industry. This broad-based take on the consumer industry allows investors to profit from firms responsible for satisfying individuals' demand for both needs and wants.
The political unrest sweeping major regions of the Middle East and North Africa, the debt crisis facing the E.U., and, more recently, the tragedy facing Japan have made the international arena exciting to watch, though difficult to navigate from an investing perspective.
As the media and market commentators remain focused on the various headwinds facing tumultuous nations around the globe, investors may find welcomed relief here on our home shores. The U.S. recovery continues to hold promise and by gaining exposure to ETFs designed to target the domestic consumer, it is possible to defend against current global fears and prepare for strength when the skies clear down the road.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV