SAN FRANCISCO, March 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Merriman Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: MERR), today announced that it has appointed Don Scifres to its independent advisory board.
Don Scifres began his career at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center where he co-established a new laboratory for the study of semiconductor lasers and light emitting diodes. While at Xerox, Scifres held positions of Manager of Optoelectronics and Xerox Research Fellow. At Xerox, he and his colleagues developed high power semiconductor laser arrays leading to the founding of SDL, Inc. in 1983. Under his direction as CEO and Chairman of the Board, SDL, Inc. became one of the fastest growing companies in the fiber optics and optoelectronics industries. In February 2001, SDL, Inc. merged with JDS Uniphase Corporation (Nasdaq: JDSU). At the time the merger was announced in July 2000, SDL, Inc. had grown to approximately $500 million in sales, with over 2,000 employees in eight locations worldwide. SDL's market cap was $41 billion, making the merger the largest technology deal ever done at that time. Scifres was co-chairman of the board of JDS Uniphase Corporation, Chief Strategy Officer, and headed mergers and acquisitions.
In February 2003, Scifres left JDS Uniphase and founded SDL Ventures, LLC and SDL Capital, LP, investment companies based in Los Altos, California.Scifres also served as president of LEOMA, the Lasers and Electro Optics Manufacturers Association and is an active investor in both public and private companies. He is on the board of directors of several non-public companies and has been awarded several medals for engineering excellence and innovation. He holds over 140 U.S. patents and has published over 300 technical articles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV