Gold for April delivery added $3.30 to close at $1,396.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Although the gold price settled under $1,400 an ounce, a psychologically important level for investors, and has traded as high as $1,406.60. The spot gold price was relatively flat, according to Kitco's gold index.
All told, gold prices tanked 2.25% Tuesday as Japanese investors frantically sold gold for cash. The selloff brought bargain hunters into the market who started picking up the metal around $1,380 an ounce and have pushed the metal past the $1,400 level. "I still think there is still room to get in on gold," says Scott Redler, chief strategic officer for T3Live.com. "I think at some point it's going to make new highs this year and it's something you should have." Redler trades the SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), which has shed 5 tons in the last week. Safe haven buying is coming back into the market after Bahrain declare martial law in the country and three more people died as protesters clashed with police. Iran condemned the military support of other Arab nations including Saudi Arabia, which has now sent 1,000 troops into the region.
Oil prices have rallied as a result, bringing precious metal prices with them as the two have traded in tandem during this recent crisis in the Middle East-North Africa region. The bank of Japan also pumped more money into its economy, bringing the three day total to 55.6 trillion yen, or $688 billion. More paper money in any economy highlights gold as a safer alternative paper currency. Bad news is still coming out of the Eurozone with Moody's downgrading Portugal's long term credit rating with a negative outlook citing low growth, questioning its ability to implement its debt reduction program and its capacity to borrow money without huge interest payments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV