Zacks maintained a neutral rating on Peet's shares, and held a Zacks #3 Rank for Starbucks, indicating a short-term hold rating.
Still others caution the rumors remain just that, and an actual deal is still extremely speculative. Some consider that Starbucks would be more likely to consider acquiring a food and/or confections company as it looks to expand its operations beyond coffee.
Peet's retail stores may compete too closely with the in-store operations of Starbucks to make a merger financially viable, say some industry experts.
Sources told Financial Times that Peet's would be a better target for companies like Kraft Foods (KFT) or Nestle SA's (NSRGY). Janney Capital Markets analyst Mitchell Pinheiro said a Peet's buyout by Starbucks would dilute the buyer's marketing bandwidth. "Why would you need another super-premium coffee brand, when I'd argue Starbucks is the number one super-premium coffee brand in the country, if not the world?" he asked. He added that devoted Peet's customers, known as "Peetnicks," are typically anti-Starbucks and could become disillusioned with the brand if Starbucks were to take it over, choosing instead to spend their coffee dollars elsewhere.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV