Japan's Nuclear Uncertainty Fuels Radiation Fears
Updated from 12:01 p.m. EDT with information regarding the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear-power plant.
TOKYO ( TheStreet) -- The Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear-power complex in Japan suffered a third explosion and Japanese officials warned that a critical reactor container, which keeps radioactive materials from leaking, may have been damaged, according to reports.
|A Japanese man and his baby are scanned for levels of radiation in Koriyama, Fukushima.|
International Atomic Energy Agency director general Yukiya Amano said that right now it is hard to predict how the current nuclear crisis in Japan will develop because there are so many unknown factors, Reuters reported.
"The problem is very complicated, we do not have all the details of the information so what we can do is limited," Amano said in a news conference on Tuesday. "I am trying to further improve the communication."The nuclear emergency in Japan escalated on Tuesday after a build-up of hydrogen caused a third hydrogen explosion at the Fukushima power plant in two days. The blast at Unit 2 damaged the reactor's main containment shell and "may have affected the integrity of its primary containment vessel," the International Atomic Energy Agency said. The IAEA also reported that a fire broke out in the reactor's fourth unit late Monday night, releasing radioactivity "directly into the atmosphere" at the rate of up to 400 millisievert per hour. "The level
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV