MEMSIC, Inc. (NasdaqGM: MEMS), a leading MEMS sensing solution provider, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2010.
- Revenues rose to $11.4 million from $5.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2009.
- Gross margin was 41.1% compared to 47.8% in the 2009 quarter.
- Operating expenses totaled $6.3 million compared to $3.9 million in the 2009 quarter, including an increase in R&D expense to $2.3 million from $1.1 million.
- Net loss in the 2010 fourth quarter was $1.1 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared to net loss of $0.8 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, in the prior-year period.
- EBITDA in the 2010 fourth quarter was ($0.1) million, compared to ($0.6) million in the fourth quarter of 2009
MEMSIC Chairman, President and CEO, Dr. Yang Zhao commented, “In addition to exceeding our quarterly revenue guidance, our bottom-line results were significantly better than projected. Sales of our magnetic sensor continued to grow as demand for Android-based smartphones expanded worldwide. Our highly competitive product and manufacturing capacity in China position MEMSIC well to benefit from the fast growth in this market. We expect this trend to continue through 2011 and are continuing to pursue new business opportunities with global Tier 1 mobile phone manufacturers.
“Our sales to the automotive sector continued to increase with the ramping up of production in vehicle stability control applications. In addition, revenue from industrial applications grew as a result of our Crossbow acquisition in January 2010.
“We were pleased to realize gross margin improvement from earlier this year as a result of manufacturing migration to China as well as on-going cost reduction efforts. Furthermore, with the addition of Dr. Paul Zavaracky, who came on board in January as President of North American and European Operations, we are putting high emphasis on growing business in North America and Europe.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV