|J.C. Penney's CEO Myron Ullman|
J.C. Penney has benefited from its exclusive partnerships with Liz Claiborne (LIZ), MNG by Mango and Call It Spring from Aldo, as well as the roll out of Sephora shops within stores.
The company began seeing these benefits in the fourth quarter, when profit rose 35% to $271 million, or $1.09 a share, on revenue of $5.7 billion, a 2.8% increase from the year prior.J.C. Penney also touts major investors like William Ackman and Steven Roth on the board of directors. And at the helm is retail veteran Myron (Mike) Ullman III, who has navigated J.C. Penney amid the recession. But regardless of its recent ability to get it right, investors are still skeptical over managements 2011 forecast. The company is calling for a profit between $2 and $2.10 for the year, ahead of Wall Street's estimates of $2.04 a share. Of course, like all retailers, the company faces several potential headwinds. Ullman discussed with TheStreet how pressures like sourcing costs and higher gasoline prices will weigh on the company, and just how far we are in the retail recovery. TheStreet: Where are we in the retail recovery? Ullman: "It started in the middle of the fall where we noticed customers start to buy things for home entertaining. Thanksgiving weekend we were selling table linens and Pyrex -- things that weren't deemed essential nor are they necessarily gift-able items. This showed a somewhat different attitude about the holiday period."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV