NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- HP (HPQ) CEO Leo Apotheker rolled out his long-term strategy for the tech giant on Monday during a meeting with analysts and press at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.
The former SAP (SAP) chief explained that HP will be offering a portfolio of cloud services. "The opportunities in the cloud are extraordinary, and we are positioned to lead with our portfolio," he said, explaining that HP will provide both cloud infrastructure and cloud "platforms" for developers.Apotheker also said that that HP will offer an open cloud "marketplace" combining both a consumer app store and a catalog for enterprise applications and services. On the connectivity side, the HP CEO said that the tech giant could potentially sell 100 million devices a year running the WebOS operating system. HP will soon launch its TouchPad tablet and new smartphones running WebOS, although Apotheker explained that the operating system will eventually encompass PCs and even printers. "WebOs is an unbelieveably attractive & stunning technology," he said, during a press conference that followed the keynote. A beta version of WebOS running on a PC will be available by the end of the year, he said. "You will see us start putting that technology on Windows PCs from that point onwards," added the CEO. HP CFO Cathie Lesjak also shared the spotlight with Apotheker, explaining that HP's board has authorized a 50% increase in the firm's quarterly dividend, which is rising to 12 cents a share. HP shares were up slightly, gaining 31 cents, or 0.75%, to reach $41.80 after market close. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV