Constellation Brands (STZ) is the largest winemaker in the world and the biggest marketer of imported beer in the U.S.
Constellation's core market is wine, which accounted for 87% of its fiscal 2010 revenue. The firm's wine portfolio includes the Robert Mondavi and Arbor Mist brands. Constellation's beer segment has the rights to distribute Corona in the U.S. Constellation also produces spirits, although it sold its value-priced spirits brands in March 2009.Morningstar analyst Philip Gorham said in a Jan. 11 research note that Constellation's "scale and positioning at the premium end of its core markets should allow the firm to generate long-term margins above those of competitors." But on the downside, he said "we think weak consumer brand loyalty, particularly in wine, and low-double-digit returns on invested capital mean Constellation Brands has no economic moat." Analysts give it four "buy" ratings, one "outperform," six "holds" and two "underperforms," according to Morningstar. Standard & Poor's gives it a "buy" recommendation and four out of a possible five-star rating, noting the company "operates in an industry that we believe has demonstrated stable revenue streams." Shares are down 13% this year but up 23% over the past year. Its three-year average annual return is a meager 1.3%. It has a $4.2 billion market value and 86% institutional ownership.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV