Fortune Brands (FO) is a conglomerate made up of home and hardware products, and alcoholic beverages and golf businesses. It posted $6 billion of sales in 2009, which grew by 7% to $7.1 billion in 2010. Sales in its spirits business rose 7.9%. In 2011, analysts expect strong growth in the high-margin spirits segment on higher consumer spending and increasing market share in the U.S. and abroad.
It had revenue of $7.1 billion in 2010, up from $6.7 billion in 2009. For fiscal 2011, analysts estimate that Fortune will earn $3.25 per share and that will grow by 16% to $3.78 in 2012.Fortune Brands has said it intends to break up and sell the home-and-security and golf segments to become a pure-play spirits manufacturer, which could help boost share prices if the those for-sale components fetch dear prices. Fortune Brands' spirits brands include Jim Beam, Maker's Mark and Canadian Club. Its home and security brands include Moen, Therma-Tru, and Master Lock, and golf brands include Titleist, Pinnacle and FootJoy. Standard & Poor's gives Fortune Brands three stars out of a possible five but has a "hold" recommendation on its shares. It has a 12-month $68 price target on its shares, about an 11% premium to its current price. S&P's review of other analysts' ratings found two "buy" ratings, one "buy/hold" and 10 "holds." Shares are up 2% this year and 31% over the past year, giving it a market value of $9.3 billion. It has 76% institutional ownership.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV