NEW YORK ( TheStreet ) -- Gold prices rose tentatively higher Monday as gold's tug-of-war took center stage. Safe haven buyers bought the metal as protection against escalating devastation in Japan but profit takers sold gold to cover losses in other assets.
Gold for April delivery added $3.10 to settle at $1,424.90 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,433.50 and as low as $1,418.20. The spot gold price was rising more than $6, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold prices struggled to gain upward momentum as profit taking weighed on the metal. Gold was 1% higher in early trading, then sold off to session lows, and has since rebounded, higher even still in post-market trading. Primarily gold is seeing selling from Japanese investors as they raise cash to deal with the aftermath of Friday's earthquake and tsunami.Phil Streible, senior market strategist at Lind-Waldock, says that Japanese investors tend to buy assets that they can get a better return on versus the yen which returns 0%. A favorite trade is short yen, long gold, for example, says Streible, and now they are "selling their gold and their silver to try and raise back capital ...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV