4. Ford (F) is the most profitable U.S. carmaker. Its stock has dropped 16% in 2011. It has gained 20% over a six-month span. Ford's fourth-quarter adjusted earnings decreased 31% to 30 cents, missing the consensus target by 38%. Sales, down 6.9%, exceeded expectations by 14%. Ford's gross margin widened from 18% to 19% and the operating margin expanded from 6.4% to 6.6%. Ford held $29 billion of cash and equivalents and $104 billion of debt, a 21% year-over-year drop, at quarter's end. It is running a shareholders' deficit of roughly $673 million.
Ford's stock sells for a trailing earnings multiple of 8.8, a forward earnings multiple of 7, a sales multiple of 0.4 and a cash flow multiple of 4.6, 43%, 74%, 45% and 21% discounts to automobile industry averages. Its PEG ratio, calculated by dividing the trailing P/E by analysts' terminal earnings growth forecast, of 0.6 signals a 40% discount to estimated fair value. Of researchers evaluating Ford, 11, or 61%, rate its stock "buy", six rate it "hold" and one ranks it "sell." Goldman forecasts that Ford will rise 42% to $20. Barclays, rating Ford "overweight", and JPMorgan, rating Ford "neutral", also have $20 targets. In contrast, Citigroup expects a rise to $17.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV