In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, CEO John Stumpf said that Wells Fargo's wealth and retirement business is "suboptimized" and that he intends to grow the business as quickly as possible.
"If we could jump a curve with the right deal, that's great," Stumpf said, according to the paper.
Wells significantly bolstered its brokerage ranks with the acquisition of Wachovia over two years ago. The combined brokerage franchise, known as Wells Fargo Advisors, touts 15,000 brokers, ranking No. 3 behind Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (MS) and Bank of America-Merrill Lynch (bac).Those three players are targeting the so-called "mass affluent" segment of the population, while others, like Citigroup (C), JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Goldman Sachs (GS), are placing a greater emphasis on high net worth individuals.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Lauren Tara LaCapra. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/laurenlacapra. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV