The U.S. dollar was expected to end the week higher, while the euro was heading for its biggest weekly drop in over two months as eurozone leaders, who were holding their summit on Friday, looked to be inconclusive in their plans to solve the region's debt contagion crisis.
The greenback, noted Brown Brothers Harriman Global Head of Currency Strategy Marc Chandler, has been up four of the last five trading days, "stemming from a combination of fiscal woes in the periphery, heightened geopolitical tensions and waning risk appetite."
The euro fell 0.6% against the Japanese currency at 113.837 yen. CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) rose 0.8% to $138.47.
The Australian dollar and Canadian dollar were soft on disappointing China trade data and a weak employment report, respectively. The Australian dollar was flat at 83.11 yen, and the Canadian dollar was down 0.8% at 84.324 yen. The iShares MSCI Japan Index (EWJ) fell 1.7% to $10.81.Oil futures fell as the earthquake pulled the psychological trigger for the reversal in the oil prices rally. Light, sweet crude oil for April delivery fell $2.11 at $100.59 a barrel.
(BP) up 0.2% at $45.75; Chevron (CVX) rose 0.9% to $99.93. Petrobras Argentina (PZE) fell 2.9% to $22.16. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV