A radiation detector marks 0.6 microsieverts, exceeding normal day data on Tuesday, near Shibuya train station in Tokyo.
The 9.0-magnitude earthquake that slammed Japan on Friday caused both the reactor's cooling system and back-up cooling system to fail, increasing the chance of a nuclear meltdown because of the overheating of the nuclear reactor's core.
The nuclear crisis escalated on Tuesday after a third hydrogen explosion damaged the reactor's main containment shell and a fire broke out at Unit 4.The International Atomic Energy Agency said the explosion at Unit 2 "may have affected the integrity of its primary containment vessel," while the fire that burned 2 hours on Monday night caused radioactivity to be released "directly into the atmosphere" at the rate of up to 400 millisievert per hour.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV