NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After a magnitude-9.0 earthquake hit Japan on Friday, unleashing a 13-foot tsunami on the northeastern coast, residents now fear the growing risk of a radiation leak from the damaged Fukushima power plant.
Estimates of the death toll from Friday's earthquake and tsunami have surpassed 10,000. Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said the disaster was the nation's worst crisis since World War II.
The official death toll from the disaster has spiked to 3,373, with at least 6,746 missing CNN reported Tuesday.
Thousands of homes have been destroyed, forcing nearly 450,000 people to stay in emergency shelters, public broadcaster NHK reported.Many other residents are without electricity or water as Japan faces a number of supply shortages. Roads and railways throughout much of Japan's northeast region have been damaged or destroyed. The estimated cost of the multiple disasters is as much as $170 billion, Reuters reported, as analysts fear the Japanese economy may fall back into recession. The possibility of a major radiation leak at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex, located about 150 miles north of Tokyo, now remains one of the largest fears for the Japanese. The Fukushima power plant suffered a third explosion and Japanese officials warned that a critical reactor container, which keeps radioactive materials from leaking, had been damaged, according to reports. With the risk of more radiation leaks rising, Japan ordered 140,000 people, or those living with 19 miles of the Dai-ichi complex, to seal themselves indoors Tuesday, The Associated Press reported. Click through the following slideshow to see a series of photos of the devastation in Japan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV