99 Cents Stores Receives Buyout Offer
Updated from 8:59 a.m. EST
The dollar store received an offer of $19.09 a share and will evaluate the possible deal.
"It was only a matter of time before 99 Cents went; this deal was long in the making," says Wall Street Strategies analyst Brian Sozzi.The company has been making significant strides to overhaul its business and is about two years away from hitting its stride when it comes to efficiency. "Now is the time from private equity to get in there," Sozzi says. It is also a good sign that the Schiffer-Gold family will continue to be involved at the company. Leonard Green has been snapping up retailers, completing the acquisition of J. Crew this week and making an offering for Jo-Ann Stores (JAS) in December. The private-equity firm has also been linked to a possible leverage buyout of BJ's Wholesale (BJ). But this latest move by Leonard Green could put a BJ's buyout in question, Sozzi says. "I am not sure Leonard Green is still enamored with it," he said. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV