Automakers, of course, tout their successes each month. And as auto sales have steadily climbed recently, there have been lots of successes.
But sometimes the story can skew to the sad side. Models go away. Historic brands go away. Fuel prices fluctuate, minimizing the appeal of bigger vehicles. Fleet sales rise or fall.
All of these things happened in February.Probably the most dramatic decline in the U.S. auto landscape came from the disappearance of Ford Mercury, which was founded in 1939. Ford's Mercury to Follow Olds, Pontiac Ford announced in June 2010, after an annual spring product review, that it would close Mercury. "We decided we would focus our efforts, our resources, to continue to grow the Ford brand and to accelerate Lincoln," said Mark Fields, Ford president for the Americas, at a news conference. Ford sold 7,456 Mercury vehicles in February 2010. It did not sell a single Mercury last month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV