NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Here's a look at retail stocks to watch on Thursday.
Men's Wearhouse (MW)was surging 6.5% to $27.90, after it narrowed its fourth-quarter loss and issued a better-than-expected 2011 forecast.
During the quarter, the men's retailer, which sells suits and rents tuxedos, lost 19 cents a share on an adjusted basis on revenue of $542.1 million. Analysts were calling for a loss of 19 cents on revenue of $537.4 million.
Looking ahead, Men's Wearhouse foresees full-year earnings in the range of $1.75 to $1.85 a share, ahead of consensus estimates of $1.72.
Stein Mart (SMRT)was spiking 9.8% to $9.68, as fourth-quarter profit easily topped forecasts. During the quarter the department store earned 32 cents a share on an adjusted basis, better than the 21 cents Wall Street predicted. But sales fell short, with Stein Mart raking in $336.7 million, less than the $339.9 million analysts expected.
Coldwater Creek (CWTR)is continuing on its decline a day after reporting it widened its loss in its fourth quarter. During the three-month period women's apparel retailer lost $37 million, or 40 cents a share, compared with a loss of $9.7 million, or 11 cents, in the year-ago period. Sales also fell nearly 21% to $252.1 million. Analysts were calling for a loss of 26 cents a share on revenue of $282.8 million. Coldwater Creek, which was tumbling 8.3% to $2.67, was also pulling down shares in other stocks in the sector, including New York & Co. (NWY), which is off 3.3% to $5.51 in morning trading. Have questions or comments about retail stocks? Drop an e-mail or Tweet http://twitter.com/jpoggi. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV