Even though Wal-Mart's (WMT) price action has been somewhat less impressive this year (the retail behemoth is trailing the S&P 500 by around 7% in 2011), the technicals point to a potentially good buying opportunity in shares. That's thanks to the base the stock built at its previous pivot level of $51. Now, with shares bouncing out of their consolidation channel, Wal-Mart is giving short-term traders reason to buy.
That's because with resistance at the 200-day moving average out of the way, this stock has little in the way of upside resistance until the 50-day moving average, currently at $54 and change. Yesterday's white bar was the initial bullish move -- wait for a second consecutive open above the 200-day before becoming a buyer. If you decide to go long Wal-Mart, consider a protective stop just below the lower blue support line at $51.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV