While Citigroup (C) is traditionally one of the most active stocks on the NYSE, it's been getting special attention lately. That's thanks to the brief flirtation with new 52-week highs that shares of Citi made at the beginning of the new year. Now, with shares decisively lower following a fourth-quarter earnings miss more than a month ago, Citi shareholders need to be playing defense.
Following Citi's earnings miss in late January, shares gapped down to the sub-$5 range, consolidating for just over a month as market participants determined the direction for this stock. At the end of February, shares cracked below support and have since been consolidating at the stock's next lower level.
Right now, trader bias toward Citi is on the short side. Following two lower bouts of consolidation, this banking giant has two overhead resistance levels to surmount before it can make another attempt at those previous highs. Meanwhile, with support at $4.50 and little else below it, a fall below that support level could send shares to the 200-day moving average. Caveat emptor.Among Citigroup's major holders is George Soros , who increased his stake in the stock in the most-recent quarter, and Citi is one of 10 stocks that matter most to hedge funds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV