NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The greenback was stronger against other major currencies as European sovereign debt concerns resurfaced and the Bank of England left rates unchanged, and amid disappointing China trade data and a retreat in oil prices.
Despite the sharp, anti-inflation rhetoric among eurozone officials that's been supportive of the euro in recent weeks, the currency on Thursday weakened after Moody's downgrade of Spain's government bond rating by one notch, to Aa2 from Aa1, with a negative outlook. Moody's said another downgrade was possible.
The euro was down 0.6% against the U.S. dollar at $1.3819. PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (UUP) was rising 0.6% to $22.15 and PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bearish (UDN) was down 0.5% to $27.72.
The CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) was lower by 0.6% to $137.69.The downgrade follows the rating agency's downgrade of Greece earlier this week, bringing the country's debt rating further into junk territory. Marc Chandler, global head of currency strategy at Brown Brothers Harriman, said in a report that the euro has broken to the downside from its January high near the $1.386 level, and from there, the currency could test the $1.375 level as sovereign debt concerns continue to mount. The U.K. pound sterling was also weaker, down 0.7% against the U.S. dollar at $1.6084 after the Bank of England left its key interest rate unchanged at a record low of 0.5%, as expected. Meanwhile, the Australian dollar was slipping 0.8% against the U.S. dollar at $1.0023 after China reported disappointing February trade data and employment in Australia during that month dipped unexpectedly for the first time in 18 months. CurrencyShares British Pound Sterling Trust (FXB) was down 0.8% to $159.85.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV