In this case, Alcon and America Movil are both apt to make solid long-term additions to buy-and-hold portfolios and can be confidently copied by investors. The two country-based ETFs, on the other hand, are a needlessly chicken-esque decision for the endowment's managers.
To be clear, both emerging markets have a great deal to offer. The problem is, their respective funds only offer a watered-down version of that potential. Active investors are better off taking the bigger country-themed hint from Harvard's endowment and then shopping for that locale's better individual stocks. You could even start by simply looking at the top holdings of the two ETFs. (For my favorite picks in Brazil, check out my recent article.)
This article originally appeared on StreetAuthority. To read more articles from James Brumley on StreetAuthority, you can visit this link .
Disclosure: At the time of publication, James Brumley owned no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV