The Keurig-installed base grows at over 5 million brewers annually, Canaccord Genuity's Van Winkle said last month, an attractive growth prospect for Starbucks which has said it intends to make its coffee available in every form consumers want.
Van Winkle said then he expects single-cup coffee sales, including brewing machines and coffee pods, to rise to $4 billion in the U.S. this year.
Richard Haffner, head of global beverage research at Euromonitor, told Reuters that U.S. sales of single-serve coffee pods (excluding brewing machines) grew to $600 million in 2010. Global sales were $4.3 billion last year.
Van Winkle added that "attaching to the new Keurig technology could put Starbucks in a position to expand the range of beverages available, to lead a better solution than is in the market today, and to be the driver of adoption utilizing its stores for distribution.""Keurig is the dominant brand in single-serve coffee with rapidly rising consumer adoption of its brewers seeding a market opportunity that Starbucks can't resist," Van Winkle said. Van Winkle maintained his buy rating and $50 price target on Green Mountain throughout the building anticipation of a deal with Starbucks, and estimated that "earnings-per-share can exceed $1 for each 5% market penetration, with a 25% household penetration looking achievable." JPMorgan analyst John Ivankoe noted in December that "such
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
>>See our new stock quote page. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV