Futures Dip on Jobless Claims, China Deficit
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stock futures pointed to a weaker open Thursday as investors absorbed a larger-than-expected increase in initial jobless claims, a surprise trade deficit in China and a downgrade to Spain's credit rating.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were down by 36 points, or 69 points below fair value, at 12,138. Futures for the S&P 500 were lower by 6 points, or 10 points below fair value, at 1310, and Nasdaq futures were off by 10 points, or 22 points below fair value.
Stocks finished flat Wednesday as tensions in Libya continued to weigh on investor sentiment.Initial jobless claims gained 26,000 to 397,000, from 371,000 in the week ended March 5. The rise was larger than the increase of 14,000 to 382,000 that economists had expected, according to Briefing.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV